Thursday, April 3, 2008

Ava's Orphanage Visit






We were told before we came to China that Ava's orphanage wasn't open to visits, but we found out once we got over here that it might be possible. We pressed ahead and made it happen yesterday. Our agency arranged transportation for us and we hired a translator through the hotel business center to come along also. Emma and Ava stayed behind at the hotel with my mom and Paige because it was a 6 hour round trip. We also didn't know how Ava would react if she went back there--so we decided not to put her through that trauma again. Scott and I went with Rachel's husband Jeff. Their daughter Lily also came from the same orphanage. Rachel chose to stay back at the hotel with Lily as well. Of course, we had a 30 passenger bus for just the 3 of us, the translator, and the driver! I was glad to be surrounded by something big because the traffic here is scary!


The drive to Shaoguan City was beautiful and green. This area of China is also very hilly--not quite mountains like we think of, but close. I enjoyed the drive--the highway was new, so it was like driving on a modern highway in the US. The Qujiang Social Welfare Institute is in the down town area of Shaoguan City above an old motor cycle shop. The orphanage is also co-located with an old-folks home.


Let me just say, that this will change how I look at Ava forever. To actually see what this little girl endured for almost the first two years of her life, just proves to me how tough and resiliant she is. The staff at the Qujiang SWI truly cares for each child and gave us a story about each of them that we saw. Even though the conditions were not the best, I think the staff does the best that they can given the circumstances. This orphanage is considered one of the nicer ones in China, so I can't imagine what a bad one is like for the children.


The staff said that Ava and Lily were the 2 favorite kids there. Of course, all we heard was that Ava or "Bei Bei" is a naughty baby!!! They all said they loved her and missed her though. You could also sense their disappointment because we didn't bring Ava back to see them.


Right now, there are 28 children there and 85% of them are special needs. We only saw Ava's old room and there were 11 children in that room. We didn't get to see any other room but the kitchen. Looking at the photos doesn't even begin to paint a picture of life there in that place. I can understand some of Ava's behavior and mannerisms much better now. I am amazed at how far she has come since she has been with us for only 10 days.


Scott and I fell in love with another little girl in Ava's room. She is 5 years old and her special need is that she has a heart defect and will need surgery. She was following us around the room with BIG smiles and melted our hearts. If we could have taken her out of there yesterday, I truly believe we would have done it. I am not so sure that Scott has still given up hope of going to get her. The problem is, she may not even be on the official government list to be adopted. I know there are so many children in these orphanages waiting to have a family--I just don't understand the "red tape" to make this happen. It isn't right.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Ok, as I'm wring this I have a big lump in my throat and tears rolling down my face. Are you happy now. Really though how wonderful and I imagine hard it was to see where Ava spent her days. It does give you a new prospective on what these children go through. We did not get to see where Bayli lived, but we did see a "village" similar to where she would have lived and it was pretty hard to see what her life would have been like had she not come to be a part of our family. Just a few more days. Thanks for keeping us up on your trip. I enjoy seeing the pictures and reading how things are going. Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi--I'm Rachel's mom/Lily's grandmother--and so your story wrings my heart. These two little girls are beyond just lucky--a miracle has fallen into their lives. Thanks for sharing this day.

Marsha

Andrea Nielsen said...

I too am amazed that the orphanages we, as parents, see are the "best" and fear for children who are in the hundreds of orphanages where children are not ever on a list to be adopted. Thank you for sharing your story.

wendy brooks said...

Thank you so much for sharing the photos. When my husband and I traveled to get our Sarah (Qu Le Jing) in August 2005, we could not visit the orphanage. I like seeing all the photos that I can, but they are so sobering. I know it must have been hard to walk away from all the children that are still there. It makes me so glad that we have Sarah, as I'm sure that you feel about Ava. Thanks again for sharing. Wendy

Judi said...

Very sobering. It's real and what goes on everyday. You know, in a New York minute that little girl would have a family if only her papers for IA could be done. Is it possible through your agency to advocate for her? To get her on a WC list? Maybe they're waiting until her surgery's done. Also wanted to ask if the additional info about Ava came to you as a matter of course, or if this was something additional you obtained through another entity? Our LID is 09/06 so we have a looong time yet but it so important to have as much info as possible for our kids, so if there's a service who researches this that you'd recommend, I'd love to know. Thanks. Your peanut is SO sweet!

susan said...

Hello - I'm a friend of Rachels and have been reading her blog daily and look at yours too since your experiences are so similar. The accounts that you and Jeff (Rachel's husband) have given of the orphanage are heart wrenching. Hearing about the special needs kids justs breaks your heart because what better place than America for them to come to get the help they need and be with loving families. Ava is beautiful and sounds like she has so much personality. Enjoy!

Susan